1 LB or 450 GMS big round Brinjals
3 Onions,finely chopped
5 Red Chilies
2 tsp. Coriander seeds
1/2 tsp. Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. Fenugreek seeds(methi dana)
1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
1/2 cup Grated Coconut
1/2 tsp. Mustard seeds
2 Curry leaves
A small ball of Tamarind
Oil for frying
Salt according to taste
Method for preparing Bharwa Baingan Recipe
• Heat one tbsp. oil
• And fry the red chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds lightly.
• Remove from oil and grind along with turmeric powder, tamarind and salt.
• When well ground,
• Add the coconut and grind to a fine paste.
• Slit the brinjals into 4 pieces and immerse in water.
• Stuff the brinjals with half of the ground masala paste and save the other half.
• Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pan
• And add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it.
• When the mustard seeds crackle,
• add the chopped onion and fry till golden brown.
• Place the brinjals in the pan and add the remaining masala paste.
• Saut lightly and add a little water.
• Cover and cook on low heat,
• turn the brinjals occasionally to ensure even cooking.
• When the brinjals are cooked and the gravy is thick, remove from heat.
• Serve garnished with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve with hot indian chapatis