Sambhar is a preparation out of Daal and various other vegetables. This is the staple diet of the people in peninsular India. Generally S?mbhar is eaten along with rice.
Rice :- One cup
Toor dhal :- 1 cup, to be soaked in water for 4 hrs
Turmeric powder :- ¼ tsp
Coriander powder :- ½ tsp
Chili powder :- ½ tsp
Sambar powder :- 2 tsp
Salt :- as per taste
Tamarind paste :- 1 tsp
Ghee :- as required for frying
Mustard seeds :- ½ tsp
Curry leaves :- as required
Asafetida :- as required
Cashews :- 2 nos
Shallots (Sambar Onions) :- few, chopped
Coriander leaves :- few, chopped
Method Of Preparation:
1) Take daal and rice. Wash it and drain the water from it. To rice and dhal add coriander leaves, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and sambar powder.
2) To this add 4 cups water to the tamarind paste. Pour this into daal and rice mixture.
3) Pressure cook it for 12 mns.
4) Take ghee in a pan and fry shallots. After it appears brown add mustard seeds, curry leaves, cashew nuts.
5) Add the seasoning to the rice.
6) Garnish it with coriander leaves
7) To be served hot.